Adsense2

Saturday, September 18, 2010

First World Infrastructure, Third World Mentality

Both my sisters are out of town for the weekend. So, I had to eat out myself for dinner. Since I'm alone and there are eateries nearby, I'd rather walk to the eateries than to drive there. It's only a 10-minute walk away anyway.

Turns out that my 10-minute walk today is a very unpleasant one. As I was crossing the road at the traffic light (traffic light was red), I heard someone shouting "Oi Botak". So I looked behind only to notice a Malay dude (I don't know him) shouting (he has a crew cut hair as well) from his car window.

I didn't know why he was so mad at me. I did nothing wrong but I was taunted in public. The only possible reason why he'd shout at me was me crossing the road when the traffic light is showing red.

Everytime a foreigner tells me that Malaysia is a nice country, I have nothing else to say except to agree. We have so many great infrastructures like LRT, smooth highways and consistent electricity (only in city areas). However, deep down I know that the problem that Malaysia is facing is like what former Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Badawi says "First World Infrastructure, Third World Mentality". I just couldn't agree more.

This leads me to think, is this an isolated case of being taunted or is this happening all the time around Malaysia? For those of you who have been in such situations, please comment. Kindly write about your experience and what happened, preferably in detail. Thank you

1 comment:

Xin said...

i dislike them when they start whistling!!!