Adsense2

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Convocation: What does it mean to you?

Completing our studies in university has been a milestone for many people in their lives. The only ceremony that indicates to you that someone has completed their studies in university is their convocation. Without a convocation, I believe that nothing tells apart a university graduate from a non-university graduate except for the depth of their knowledge. So if someone reads and learns a lot, he would still look and sound the same as a university graduate as long as he's willing to learn.

A convocation is the symbolic meaning of someone officially finishing his education, mostly tertiary education. For some, it may mean a lot because the convocation marks the end of their university studies and their entry into the working world/into open society.

Then, this question suddenly struck me, "If you have been working for several months, what does the convocation mean to you?" And the answer to that question was "Nothing". Why must it be so? When you work, the symbolic meaning of convocation (entry into the working world) is no longer relevant because you have already been working for some time already. 

What do I think about convocation?

The convocation I had was a complete waste of time, energy and resources. There are two primary reasons why I was at the convocation:

1. For my parents and family members so that they can be proud of the fact that I completed my university studies.
2. To meet my friends from university and catch up.

Those are the only two reasons why I went for my convocation. Other than that, I feel like the convocation wasted my time, energy and resources.

Just imagine yourself waiting for 3 hours just so that you can be on stage for 3 minutes to take your 'scroll' which is empty.

After some thoughts, I hope this is not the only convocation that I will be attending in my lifetime. Hopefully, the next convocation will be a more meaningful one for me :)

No comments: