Adsense2

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Another Update - My Thoughts on Employment

Technically speaking, I have found a job. The job that I have found is a job at Ernst & Young as an Audit Associate.

I have applied to the following companies:
1. CIMB
2. Maybank
3. BAT
4. AmInvestment
5. PWC
6. Ernst & Young (EY)

The only company that came back to me for an interview are Maybank, AmInvestment and EY. I am still in the process of interview for the other two jobs but EY came forward with a job offer for me starting in September.

First of all, I have to commend EY's HR team for their immediate response in arranging for an interview and coming up with the offer within 2 weeks of sending the job application and resume. What I find unfortunate is the fact that a friend of mine who preferred to work in EY only got the call-up for interview after she accepted the offer from KPMG (simply because EY called her late). Too bad for EY for missing out on a good employee,

To the companies that have yet to call me, I guess they're either not hiring or I don't suit their requirement of an employee. The job market at the moment is more of the employer's market than the employee's market. Employees don't always get the choice of choosing the employment of their choice. Only a select few get the option of the employment of their choice.

Having said that, employers nowadays want their employees to pursue professional qualifications during the duration of their employment. I was speaking to a HR Manager from EY and she indicated to me that promotion and progression is based on the performance and progress on professional qualification examinations. To be honest, it's very difficult for employees to be performing and taking professional qualification examinations when they're constantly loaded with jobs and projects.

Then, this question arises: Does it matter that much for an employee to pass their professional qualification examinations? Shouldn't their ability to perform on the job take precedence as a pre-qualification for consideration for promotion?

The lesson learnt on employment: a Bachelor's degree is only like a UPSR exam. There's still professional qualification and other examinations to go.

No comments: