Adsense2

Monday, April 4, 2011

Straws: Do we really need them?


Ahh.... The straw. Always used at the eateries but few people actually pays attention to it. Always thrown away after one usage, it is one of the things in life that many can live without. But for some, it is just life-defining. It becomes a habit of many people that when they visit KFC or McDonald's, they will take straw and put it into their cup. This happens naturally out of habit for a lot of people. I've been wondering for a while now why was the straw created and how does it help us.

So, out of curiosity, I surfed the net to find out more about the history of straws and how is it helping us in our daily life especially in helping us drink. It appears that the straw was created many thousands of years ago for the purpose of drinking alcoholic beverages (must it always be about this drink?) and the very first straw in the world was made of, well obviously straw

After some reading, turns out that straws can actually help us to mitigate tooth decay especially when we're drinking carbonated drinks. It works by funneling the drinks straight into your mouth and reducing contact with your teeth (carbonated drinks are acidic and will corrode your teeth)

My thought
As for me, I will typically pass the straw and move on to get my chili sauce at the sauce counter whenever I visit KFC and McDonald's. I view it as a complete waste of resources since the straw is made of plastic (plastic is non-biodegradeable) and it's only used for a while (approximately 30 minutes or so for normal diners). And after the straw has served its purpose, it will lie in landfills for another several hundred years. My conclusion? It's not like we can't drink from the cup without using a straw anyway

No comments: