Adsense2

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Malaysian Public Transport System

It was a Sunday. I was on my way back to Cyberjaya via public transport (bus and KTM Kommuter). I left my sister's house in Taman Desa, Kuala Lumpur at 6pm and waited for the bus to pick me up to Mid Valley. The bus arrived after about 20 minutes and off I went to Mid Valley to take the KTM train to KTM Serdang.

I arrived at KTM Mid Valley at 6.30pm. Much to my displeasure, the train was delayed. I had to wait for 30 minutes for the next train to arrive. However, there was too many people in the train at that time that I couldn't board the train. It was displeased by the fact that many of my fellow Malaysian commuters couldn't wait to get into the train. Some of them didn't allow the people inside the train to get out of the train. Although some of the people expressed their intention to get out of the train, the commuters outside refused to allow them to get out of the train. This really highlighted the lowly mentality of Malaysian commuters.

I decided not to enter the train and wait for the next train. That decision made me wait for another 30 more minutes before I could get into the next train. When the next train arrived, there was still a crowd at the platform. I was one of the few people in front of the line when the train opened its doors. Someone had pushed from behind. Although I didn't want to board the train this quickly, I was pushed into the train by force. I didn't like it but I couldn't complain more because had I not been pushed into the train, I might have to wait for another half an hour before the next train arrives.

With the recent increase in price of petrol, it is high time that the Malaysian government upgrades its public transport system. The current situation of KTM Kommuter will not ease the burden of the public. The least that the government can do is to increase the number of trains servicing the KTM Kommuter line and ensure that the service is consistent and reliable. The inconsistency of the service has caused the crowding of people at the platform. This, I believe has caused a lot of uneasiness in not only me but also many other members of the public. I was wondering what would happen to the physically-challanged, pregnant women and children.

As a good and responsible government, I urge the Malaysian government to overhaul or upgrade its public transport system especially those that are in bad condition like KTM Kommuter. The time has come for Malaysia to upgrade itself and transform into a developed nation by the year 2020

5 comments:

Janet said...

wow..finally own a blogspot..haha

Anonymous said...

hey..this looks like it would fit in the section of the newspaper where readers and citizens have their opinions published..

LexLex said...

Then you can copy it and post it to The Star. Maybe you can win yourself RM50

Anonymous said...

no..i mean you should write to the newspapers..! increase awareness..! hehe..

Janet said...

btw, i agree..that time sit bus, take me 2 hours 30mins to reach home..